Opening Career Opportunities in the United States

Opening Career Opportunities in the United States
Having the opportunity to gain knowledge and have a career in the United States is the dream of many people. With the quality educational system in the United States, as well as being the country with the strongest economy in the world, the job market in the United States is never empty.

The United States has strong industries in the economic, financial and banking and media sectors. This also opens up work opportunities for international students. In the United States there is the option to work part-time on campus during the first year of study. Plus, you also have the opportunity to find sponsors to finance your education.

International students in the United States can work on campus up to 20 hours per week. Many of them use this time to do internships or take part in practical training. Almost every university, even those not located in big cities, has special staff dedicated to helping their students find internship opportunities. All universities in the United States also offer extra-curricular activities that provide material about real-world work experience.

In addition, there is another option that is attractive to many students, namely expanding their learning experience through study abroad programs or student exchanges throughout the semester or in the summer. These programs are mostly offered by universities and study abroad education providers.

In the United States international students holding F-1 visas, after they graduate can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows them to work in their chosen field for 12 to 24 months. Some companies are even ready to sponsor international students to obtain an H1-B Temporary Worker Visa. This visa can allow them to continue living in the United States while they work for the company.

Most educational institutions in the United States have career services departments staffed by professionals with the aim of helping students compile their resumes, teaching job interview skills, and helping them find job opportunities. Considering that the job prospects in the United States are so tempting, here are some things you should know if you want to have a career in the United States.

You can get more interesting information about job vacancies only on the site

Grace period

After your student visa expires, you will enter a grace period to leave America, extend your visa or apply for a new visa. The grace period you can stay before leaving the United States depends on the type of student visa you have. F-1 visa holders are permitted to stay for 60 days, while M-1 and J-1 visa holders are only permitted to stay for 30 days. .

Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Work Visa
International students who have graduated and want to stay in the United States after college have two options, namely, register for OPT or apply for a work visa.


F1 visa holders are allowed to complete temporary work for 1 year in a field related to their field of study. This permit is valid once for each level of study. For example, you will receive 1 OPT permit after completing a Bachelor’s degree, and another 1 time after completing a Master’s degree.

OPT submission

You need to collect the OPT I-20 form at your university. If accepted, the university will manage the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS). You will then receive the new immigration documents required to obtain OPT by submitting them to United States immigration.

Work visa

The most common type of work visa that international students can obtain is the Temporary Working Visa (H-1B). With this visa, you can stay in the United States for 3 years, and can be extended up to 6 years.

Work Visa Application Process

International graduates who have obtained a bachelor’s degree, cannot apply for this visa personally. They are required to have received a job offer first, and later the company they work for will apply for the work visa.

Green Card

If you want to stay permanently in America, you need a ‘Green Card’. As with a work visa, the company you work for must apply for you.

Job Vacancies Information

To get information on job vacancies in the United States, you can find it from various sources. There are two types of job vacancy information in the United States, namely, limited job information and general job information. The following is an explanation of these two types of information.

Limited job vacancy information

This type of vacancy information is usually called a ‘hidden market’. Information about job vacancies of this type is not advertised publicly and is usually spread through connections or through your university. Many universities hold career fairs, and these are a great opportunity for you to make connections. On this occasion, you can chat, ask for business cards, or get information about positions that are currently vacant or will be opened at companies participating in the career fair.

Apart from that, joining many organizations or associations that are relevant to your field of study is also very helpful for finding out about job vacancies that are available but are not open to the public.

General job vacancy information

This type of work information is usually called ‘Open Market’. Many companies advertise job vacancies publicly on many sites such as, IdeaList, USA Jobs or American Job Center. You can also find available job vacancies in many local sources such as the Los Angeles Times job board or Boston Jobs Today.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top